A classic favorite — chicken pot pie! But this time, as a soup and a little more nutritious than a regular pot pie 😉 .
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or oil of choice)
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee (or oil of choice)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups peeled and diced yukon gold potatoes
- 3 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme)
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, skim milk, 2% (if you want a richer soup, you can use whole milk)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat. Add in olive oil. Once oil it hot, add in diced chicken breast and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 4-6 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Remove chicken from pot and transfer to a large bowl; set aside for later.
In the same pot, add in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, chopped onion, sliced carrots, diced gold potatoes, diced cauliflower and thyme. Sauté for a few minutes until onion begins to soften, then add in milk, chicken broth and salt and pepper. Allow mixture to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Next remove 3 cups of the mixture from the pot and add to a blender. Blend until completely smooth (be careful while you do this!), then transfer puree back to the pot. Stir in cooked chicken and frozen peas. Allow mixture to simmer for 5-10 more minutes to thicken up a bit. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Garnish with extra black pepper and fresh thyme, if desired.
Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen