Omelets are a fan favorite, but have you ever tried an eggless omelet? That’s right – an omelet with no eggs! How? Chickpea flour. This is a great alternative to a traditional breakfast. As always, get creative with the veggies! Instead of spinach, we opted for onion, red bell pepper, mushroom, and broccoli then topped it with salsa and avocado…YUM!
- 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach (loosely packed)
- 2 tbsp oil of choice for the pan (i.e. ghee, grapeseed, etc.)
- Add in any of your other favorite veggies!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flax meal and water and let stand until thickened.
- Add chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, cumin, salt, black pepper.
- Whisk in water 1/3 cup at a time until all water is incorporated and no lumps remain. Stir in the chopped spinach, then set aside to thicken. It should have the consistency of pancake batter.
- Preheat a medium-sized pan over just-below medium heat. Add oil before you add the batter, and swirl around the pan to coat.
- Pour in the batter and cover to let the batter cook for about 10 minutes. Once the middle of the batter looks matte and more bread-like, flip to cook the other side. The first cooked side should have nice, browned patches that are crispy. Cook the other side until golden.
- Transfer onto a plate and serve!