We are always looking for ways to incorporate more legumes into our day – this mashed chickpea salad with dill is one of our new favorite ways to accomplish this! Think of it as a chicken salad alternative…its full of fiber and protein, creamy, and oh so delicious!
- 1 (15 ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup quality mayonnaise (Sir Kensington, Chosen Foods, etc.)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 scallion, finely chopped (we didn’t have any scallions, so we used red onion instead!)
- 2 teaspoons capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Place chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel. Fold the towel over and gently rub the chickpeas to release any loose skins. Discard the skins; transfer the chickpeas to a medium bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork. Add celery, mayonnaise, dill, scallion, capers, lemon juice and pepper; stir until well coated.