Sloppy joes were a childhood favorite of ours…and now we may have found our new favorite version of them! This recipe originally called for pinto beans but, since we only had lentils on hand, we opted for using those instead. We served our lentil sloppy joes over leftover roasted veggies (sweet potatoes, mushroom, broccoli, and purple onion) and it was absolutely delicious!
- 1 tsp oil of choice (olive, coconut, grape seed)
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper, (chopped)
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tbs Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 28- ounce can pinto beans
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil. Let the oil heat up then add garlic, onions, and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, liquid aminos, and coconut sugar. Cook for about 2 minutes until tomato sauce gets hot and bubbly.
- Gently add in pinto beans. Stir in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve over roasted veggies of choice (i.e. sweet potatoes and cauliflower). Enjoy!