There’s no denying that the COVID-19 pandemic has affected our diets. Whether you are trying to make less trips to the grocery store or you are finding bare shelves when you do go shopping, shelf-stable foods have come to save the day. One classic favorite is pasta and we are here to tell you that pasta is BACK! We love to incorporate bean pasta, such as Banza chickpea pasta, to pack an extra punch of protein and fiber. Check out the recipe below for a delicious and healthy dinner option!
Grilled Chicken and Asparagus pesto Pasta
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends cut off
- Olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces rotini pasta, gluten free if needed (we used Banza chickpea rotini)
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons shredded Pecorino Romano or parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Fresh chopped basil and more Pecorino Romano for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and put into a large serving bowl.
- While the pasta cooks, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. On a baking sheet lined with foil lay the asparagus out in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Grill the chicken for approximately 4-6 minutes then flip over and grill another 4-6 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°-165° F. Let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.
- While the chicken cooks place the prepared asparagus onto the grill grates horizontally. Grill for 2 minutes then roll or flip them over with tongs and grill another 1-2 minutes. Cut into approximately 2 inch pieces.
- Add the chopped chicken and asparagus to the bowl with the pasta. Add in the pesto, lemon juice and shredded romano or parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and toss everything together until coated. Taste for seasoning. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and chopped fresh basil if desired. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe modified from: https://reciperunner.com/grilled-chicken-asparagus-pesto-pasta/