Another way to add in more beans to your diet: pinto bean sloppy joes! This delicious homemade sauce is sweetened with coconut sugar, unlike many store-bought sauces that are sweetened with cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Bonus: it is super easy to toss together!
- 1 tsp oil of choice (olive, avocado, grape seed)
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper, (chopped)
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce (no other ingredients aside from tomatoes!)
- 1 tbs Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 28- ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil. Let the oil heat up then add garlic, onions, and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, liquid aminos, and coconut sugar. Cook for about 2 minutes until tomato sauce gets hot and bubbly.
- Gently add in pinto beans. Stir in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve over roasted veggies of choice (i.e. sweet potatoes and cauliflower)
- Store in air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe from Simple Fit Vegan