The season of pumpkin is still upon us! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin drinks, pumpkin energy balls (see our Instagram for two delicious recipes!), and now pumpkin bars!
Canned pumpkin puree – this is different than canned pumpkin pie filling – is loaded with nutrients; pumpkin is a great source of vitamin A/beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin C, potassium, manganese, iron, copper, and antioxidants. (As always, read the ingredient list to make sure you’re buying 100% pure pumpkin, not a product laden with sugar and preservatives.) When baking with this popular and nutritious fall ingredient, we like to make sure it is being paired with other quality ingredients. We like desserts, but we like them to leave us feeling good! The perfect option: these pumpkin bars from Ambitious Kitchen .
For the sugar cookie crust:
¼ cup melted and cooled coconut oil
⅓ cup coconut sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fine almond flour (do not use almond meal)
2 tbs coconut flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
For the filling:
1 (15 0z) can pumpkin puree (do not mistake this for pumpkin pie filling!)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a food processor, add in coconut oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Process for 20-30 seconds until well combined.
- Add in almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Process until a dough forms. Allow dough to sit for 5 minutes. (note: this can also be mixed by hand or by using an electric mixer)
- Add dough to the prepared baking pan. Use your hands or a rubber spatula to spread out the dough to reach the edges of the pan. Bake for 9 minutes then allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and mix until smooth. After the crust has cooled for 3-5 minutes, pour filling over crust and tap gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until set and the filling no longer jiggles.
- Allow to cook completely at room temperature before covering and placing in the fridge for 6-8 hours (or overnight).
- Once ready, cut into 12 bars. Serve and enjoy!