Acorn squash is one of our favorites! Enjoy this stuffed acorn squash recipe that is filled with the flavors of fall!
- 2 whole acorn squash cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup honey crisp apples peeled + chopped in small pieces (we used white onion instead, just a personal preference 🙂 )
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese – cheddar, gruyere or mozzarella all work great!
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Line a baking sheet parchment paper + spray with olive oil to prevent squash from sticking
Slice acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds and place flat on sheet sprayed with olive oil.
Bake the squash for 20 minutes, until it is tender when pierced with a fork
While the squash cooks – heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Sauté turkey in olive oil for 10-15 minutes until brown.
While the turkey is cooking, chop mushrooms, apples + herbs.
Add in chopped mushrooms, apples, chicken stock, and spices to the pan with the cooked turkey. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
When the squash is done, remove from the oven + scoop out most of the cooked center, leaving a little bit of filling in the acorn squash.
Add the squash filling to the turkey/mushroom/apple mixture in the pan+ stir until completely mixed in.
Scoop the turkey/squash mixture back into the squash + top with cheese of choice
Bake them at 450 for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts. Optional: broil for 2-3 minutes so the cheesy gets crispy.
Recipe from The Clean Eating Couple