Calling all Taco Tuesday enthusiasts: Put a new twist on your weekly favorite with this Turkey Taco Skillet!
Turkey Taco Skillet
- 2 medium gold or yellow potatoes diced
- 1/2 large yellow or white onion diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) diced, I use 1/2 red and 1/2 green
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking fat of choice
- 1 lb lean ground turkey I use 93/7. You can substitute ground beef if you prefer.
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
Pico de Gallo
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion diced
- lime juice to taste
- salt to taste
- handful of cilantro chopped
Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- handful of cilantro
Optional toppings: lettuce, black olives, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, guacamole, and/or avocado slices.
- Heat your cooking fat of choice in a skillet. Add diced potatoes, peppers, and onion. Sauté on medium high heat, stirring occasionally until sides of potatoes have browned. This can take 5 to 10 minutes depending on your stove and the size of your potatoes. Once potatoes have some good browning reduce heat to medium, cover, and let cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking combine Pico de Gallo ingredients into a small bowl and stir. Add lime juice and salt a little at a time. Taste and add more until you get it how you like it. Set aside.
- Remove potatoes, peppers, and onion from the skillet when finished and set aside.
- Add your ground turkey to the skillet on medium high heat. Crumble the turkey using your spatula. Sauté until browned and cooked through. Add all seasonings and stir until combined.
- While turkey is cooking combine your Creamy Avocado Dressing ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth and thick.
- If you want to assemble everything in the skillet together: When ground turkey is done remove it from the skillet and set aside. Add the finished potatoes, peppers, and onions back in the skillet. Layer ground turkey on top. Then Pico de Gallo. Then a drizzle of Creamy Avocado Dressing. (It’s thick. I use a squirt bottle but you can add a few dollops with a spoon if that’s easiest.) Add any other toppings you like and serve!
Recipe modified from: https://thewholecook.com/turkey-taco-skillet/