Turkey tacos for dinner one night –> turkey taco bowls for lunch the next day…the best of both worlds! In addition to these three recipes, we made our tacos/taco bowls with romaine lettuce, black beans, diced tomatoes, diced black olives, sliced avocado, jalapenos, and fresh-squeezed lime juice!
For the turkey taco meat:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add diced onions and turkey. Brown the turkey, and break up the meat with a wooden spoon until nice and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, tomato sauce water, cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken up.
For the Spanish rice:
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/8 cup oil
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 6 stems cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- dash cumin
- dash garlic pepper
Heat oil in large frying pan on medium heat.
Add rice and cook until golden brown.
Pour chicken broth into microwave-safe dish and microwave for 3 minutes.
When rice is brown, add water, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, cumin and garlic pepper to pan.
Stir and cover pan. Let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until all is cooked and there is no liquid left. Fluff before serving and enjoy!
For the Mexican coleslaw:
- 2 cups green, shredded cabbage
- 2 cups red, shredded cabbage
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the slaw ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
Pour the dressing over the cabbage/carrot mixture and toss.
Turkey Taco Meat recipe from Ambitious Kitchen
Spanish Rice recipe from Lil’ Luna
Mexican Coleslaw recipe from The Gracious Pantry